Almanara Square - دوار المنارة

صور من الحياة في رام الله - فلسطين

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

EID AL-FITR

This week is a special week for me and for every Muslim in the world. This week the holy month 'ramadan', the month of Fast, ended. Yesterday 'Eid al-fitr' begun. Every year I look forward to 'Eid al-fitr'. For me, it’s a chance to spend time with my beloved family.

'Eid al-fitr' is a holiday when you take a pause, a "time out" from the hectic days of everyday life in Ramallah.

This year, the holiday takes time in a very sensitive period, which I believe to be one of the hardest in the last few years, concerning the economical situation and the unity of our Palestinian people.

In 'Eid al-fitr' we eat chocolates and halawiyat, and we wear our best cloths in order to celebrate the holiday. This holiday always reminds me the better years, when I was a young child, having no cares at all. I did not have any reasons to demonstrate in the streets, or worrying about the way I'll mange through the year to come in the university.

This is the first 'ramadan' when we had no meat in most of our meals ending the fast, and I even saw some of our neighbors taking food packages from different charity organizations.
The government needs to know the large numbers of people which did not have enough food for the Iftar meal every evening.

How did we end up like this?! I hope that next year we'll have a better Eid al-fitr.

Asad.

p.s - I'll be happy if you, my readers, will tell me how your "Eid al-Fitr" was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home